The Ralph Braun Grant Program
This program is directed to individuals with disabilities who have secured the majority of the money needed to fund vehicle modification products and just need some additional help to reach their goal. The Ralph Braun Grant Program is designed to bridge the funding gap that prevents people in need of mobility products from achieving their mobility goals.
Applications are accepted at anytime and grants are awarded based on applications received on a quarterly basis as listed below. The application process must be completed online. We are unable to accept hard copies of the application. Please visit the Apply for a Grant page for further instructions and to complete an application.
Key points of the Ralph Braun Grant Program:
- During each funding cycle, grants are awarded to eligible, selected individuals for up to 25 percent of the cost of the mobility transportation equipment with a maximum award of $5,000.
- Mobility equipment must be essential mobility transportation equipment (i.e. conversions for accessible vans, wheelchair/scooter lifts, car top carriers, driving aids, etc.). Wheelchairs, scooters, home modifications, and any equipment not related to vehicle accessibility are not eligible for this program.
- We are unable to provide assistance toward the cost of the chassis or actual vehicle.
- The purchase of a vehicle that has already been modified or converted with a wheelchair accessible lift or ramp is eligible for this program as long as it is sold by a NMEDA certified dealer.
- Mobility products eligible include all NMEDA approved mobility products.
- Products (including vehicle) may be new or used.
- Mobility equipment must be purchased from a certified NMEDA retail mobility dealer. These dealers can be located at nmeda.com/locate-a-dealer.
- The application and supplementary information must be submitted online. Significant personal information is required, and a detailed background narrative is important to demonstrate need for financial assistance and equipment requested.
- A proposal or prospectus that outlines the project in detail, including equipment recommended and pricing, must be prepared by the mobility dealer and submitted with the application.
- Information must be provided in the application that clearly demonstrates that all government funding sources and entitlements have been exhausted prior to application.
- The grant may not be used to fund any mobility equipment already funded in full by Vocational Rehabilitation, Veterans Administration, Medicaid Waiver, or another funding source.
- Approved applications must result in completion of the mobility product purchase within 60 days. If all required documentation and proof of delivery of the funded equipment is not submitted within this timeframe, the award will be forfeited and the applicant must reapply during a future funding cycle.
- Applications are accepted from residents of the United States and Canada.
- Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Quarterly Funding Cycles
|Application Open||Announcements Made|
|January thru March||May 1|
|April thru June||August 1|
|July thru September||November 1|
|October thru December||February 1|
Due to the number of applications received, NOVA is unable to accommodate every request. We respectfully ask that you only submit an application if you have thoroughly reviewed the application rules and meet the criteria for submission. Please refer to our Frequently Asked Questions section for additional information.
NOVA reserves the right to decline any application and/or ask for any additional information regarding the application.